With St. Andrew’s day fast approaching here’s some quick fast facts about the Patron Saint of Scotland.
- St Andrew’s Day is a bank holiday in Scotland but entitlement to leave depends on the employer
- St Andrew is also the patron saint of Romania, Greece and Russia
- Scotland is one of the few countries to have one of Christs disciples as their patron saint
- St Andrew was one of the Twelve Apostles (disciples of Jesus) and brother of St Peter
- St Andrew is believed to have died on a diagonally transversed cross which the Romans sometimes used for executions and which, therefore, came to be called St Andrews Cross
- St Andrew’s Day is connected with Advent, which begins on the first Sunday after November 26
With thanks to www.scotland.org